Introduction - how this blog works

The idea of this blog is to share some of my favourite bits of mountain biking with the world. Principally so that you too can enjoy the bits I've enjoyed. And avoid the bits I've hated. So many people have given us advice on biking since we started - what bikes to buy, where to ride, how to ride. So this is my chance to feed a bit back to that body of knowledge.

I'd really welcome your comments - what have I raved about that you thought was awful? What gems did I miss when I visited your local riding spot? Is a bit that I said was awful actually sweet singletrack in the summer or when you're riding well? Comments will help this resource be improved for all readers, and also give me some hints as to where to ride next!

I've written a load about what we've ridden over the last year, and grouped it geographically. My plan is to add to it in the future, hopefully using the tags to keep each region together, though I haven't quite worked out how it will work yet. I may just need to start all over again in a year to keep things organised more sensibly - I'm not really sure a blog is the most sensible format - but it seems the best for me as I'm not terribly motivated to learn any more code than the day job necessitates.

Saturday 13 February 2010

Peaks again

Now finally done all the bridleways in the central area of the Dark Peak, and a couple more in the White Peak so I think it's time to update the top descents.

The descent to Derwent Reservoir (SK167910) is actually a lot easier than I remembered it being - it's still a nice bit of trail, but doesn't deserve a special visit, so it's being removed.

I have also thought hard abut including the descent from the Longstone Quarry (SK214736) to Rowland (SK217728). There's no drop-offs or corners to worry about - just loads of huge (football sized) loose rocks all the way down. I still go too slowly to maintain momentum over this stuff, so haven't cleaned it yet, but I don't really enjoy this style of riding as its all about speed and not about precision. So is it a top ten of fun or challenge? Assuming the latter I'm including it fairly near the bottom. Thus the new top twelve stands as:

1. Chapel Gate (SK099829 to 113843)– the mainline is massive loose blocks, but the sneak line is no walk in the park. Further down, even the sneak liners are forced onto the mainline, but there are some curious ribbons of tarmac that form skinnies above the loose stuff, if you can stay on them!
2. Stanage from the top (SK 239844) all the way down past the Plantation (SK238836). You think once you’ve gone past the edge it’ll get dull, but the big rocks just keep coming. And not loose like most Peak descents.
3. From Hope Cross (SK150876) on the Roman Road, towards Ladybower (SK164881). Bit loose, some careful line selection required.
4. Jacob’s Ladder (SK081861 to 088862), steep start, then gets loose.
5. Descent from the top Jacob’s Ladder (Edale Cross (SK077861) all the way to Kinder Reservoir (SK054878)
6. Cavedale (SK137814 to 150827), eases you in gently before it gets really steep and loose!
7. Descent of Bradwell Edge (SK 183810 to 178807). Proper narrow singletrack to keep you on your toes.
8. Descent from Cut Gate (SK186961) to towards Ladybower (SK1709954). Really just the last minute suddenly gets some drop-offs, and an alpine hairpin!
9. From Derwent Edge (SK198885) to Ladybower (SK187884). Four sections of different character (ruts, grass, cobbles) but the section in the middle is the most worthwhile
10. Longstone Quarry (SK214736) to Rowland (SK217728). There's no drop-offs or corners to worry about - just loads of huge (football sized) loose rocks all the way down.
11. Bottom part of descent from Hollins Cross (SK137845) towards Castleton (SK141842). Dull at the top, but a short section of drop offs at the bottom makes it all worthwhile.
12. Descent into Rowarth (SK 014888) from SK019885– again, bit loose, but a few drop offs to keep you on your toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment